Bright lights, Big City... little me
The towers pierce the midnight sky with silver, sharp and high,
While rushing past on crowded streets, the high-flown people fly.
While rushing past on crowded streets, the high-flown people fly.
They carry titles, wealth, and power, with brilliant minds to spare,They chase the neon dreams that float upon the city air.
I walk among the hurried mass, a shadow in the throng,Without a grand career to boast, or place where I belong.
I am no one of great renown, no name upon a door,
No corporate ladder climbed to see what fortunes had in store.
No corporate ladder climbed to see what fortunes had in store.
But when the city lights grow dim and evening starts to fall,
I walk toward my quiet place that matters most of all.
I walk toward my quiet place that matters most of all.
For I am wealthy in the ways that money cannot buy,
Reflected in the loving warmth of every family eye.
Reflected in the loving warmth of every family eye.
They are the world I live to for, the reason that I breathe,
The anchor in a spinning world that helps my soul believe.
The anchor in a spinning world that helps my soul believe.
Although this heart has known the pain of being torn apart,The broken pieces mend with scars from where the sorrows start,
It does not close, it does not hide, it does not turn away—
It simply finds a deeper love to give away each day.
It simply finds a deeper love to give away each day.
So let the brilliant lights burn bright, let high-flyers ascend,
For status is a fleeting thing that changes in the end.
For status is a fleeting thing that changes in the end.
The truest measure of a life is never what you make,
But how much love you're living for, and how much care you wake.
But how much love you're living for, and how much care you wake.
You do not need a grand career to shine amazing light;
It’s what is kept within the heart that makes the dark world bright.
It’s what is kept within the heart that makes the dark world bright.
Nina Hopper
No comments:
Post a Comment